Built in 1847, this lighthouse was automated in 1937. Located in the western basin of Lake Erie, approximately 8 miles north of the mainland, West Sister Island is owned by the U.S. Coast Guard and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. The West Sister Island Wilderness, Ottawa National Wildlife Refuge is restricted to research and education. The tower may be viewed by water only.